Our books






Become a Fan

« Writing good referee reports | Main | Reader query about undergraduate research »

03/18/2019

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

www

I did something like this once. I didn't get a pfo, but instead got a "that's great, we're happy for you!" in response. That seemed clear enough.

SLAC Associate

Marcus's advice is exactly right here. A simple e-mail to the chair of Y's search saying, "I'm very interested in the position at Y, but I need to make a decision within the next two weeks about an offer at another institution," will give Y's committee everything they need to know. If you're near the top of Y's list, they'll respond to that kind of message as promptly as they can. If they don't respond promptly -- or don't respond at all -- then that tells you what you need to know.

A Philosopher

Anything more than Marcus' suggested response feels like a futile game of trying to guess the idiosyncratic reactions of search committee members. Also, if they said a month, it seems reasonable to assume they are still interviewing people. So, unless you are clearly their top candidate by a wide margin, it's hard to see them moving things along. I doubt a search committee would cancel an interview on someone.

Anon

Is asking X for more time not an option? I know of some people who have taken more than 2 weeks to decide on an offer, and I think they got that timeline through negotiating.

Philosopher

Certainly for tt jobs, it is not at all unheard of to ask X for more time & be granted it, but the greater the amount of time, the lower the odds of it being granted, of course.

anon pd

slowing down the other search is much easier than speeding up the other search in my experience

Amanda

I would follow Marcus's advice. I do think for a visiting position in which they are still interviewing people it is not good odds they will give you an offer. But no harm in trying.

Personally I think asking the place who gave you an offer for more time comes with risks. It's a buyers market, they certainly don't need you, and by asking for more time you are communicating you really aren't sure about things. Anyway, whenever I've asked this I was denied. And that comes with a cost, as things can be more awkward between you and the institution.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)

Current Job-Market Discussion Thread

Job-market reporting thread

Writing Service


Categories