In the comments section of our newest "How can we help you?" post, a reader writes in:
[H]ow long is typical to give a candidate to decide whether to accept a position? I was offered a one-year job which I would like to take if I do not get a permanent position. However, I was only given a week to decide. And I have a flyout in two weeks. I am not sure what to do, because if I ask the job for more time to decide I would have to ask for a lot. After all, I doubt the search committee will make a decision immediately after my flyout which is already a week after I am supposed to give the final word on my 1-year position.
Should I just accept the 1-year position and go back on that if I get a permanent job? I don't feel great going that route.
I've not been in that kind of position before, so I'm not sure what to advise. However, having gotten several offers over the years (both TT and non-TT), my experience has been that two weeks to decide seems pretty standard. One week seems to me a bit quick. What do you all think? What should this person do?