Given the success of our new Working Paper Group (e.g. see here, here, here, and here), I'd like to propose that we begin a Dossier Group along the same lines: a group that reads and constructively discusses one another's cover letters, CVs, teaching portfolios, writing samples, etc. The group, at least as I envision it, would run something like this:
- To make it as safe and productive discussion, the group (and access to discussed materials) would be restricted to contributing members of the Cocoon.
- To ensure that we don't get bogged down with too many discussions all at once, anyone who's interested in "presenting" informs me of their desire to present something (if there are multiple people interested, there will be a queue).
- Whoever goes uploads a document they desire feedback on to our dropbox.com acccount (for obvious reasons, I suggest one document per discussion, not an entire dossier!).
- They then write a post introducing the document for discussion, perhaps noting specific questions/concerns they have about it.
- Discussion proceeds in the comments section of the post.
Although I know the main job season has sort of passed, the spring market is still to come. In any case I think this could be a very nice and useful group! Anyone interested? (If not, we can always pursue it next job season).